Harton Primary School, South Shields - 2009
Archaeological Geophysical Survey
TWM Archaeology were commissioned by Carillion to carry out a geophysical survey on two playing fields at Harton Primary School, Harton, South Shields, to identify any potential archaeological remains in advance of the construction of a new school building.
The survey identified the existence, location and floor plan of three World War II air-raid shelters built on the site in 1939. The shelter were pre-cast concrete 'raidsafe' surface shelters, mainly used for the protection of schoolchildren and those living in narrow terrace streets where garden based Anderson shelters were not possible.