Moses J. Adams began to make “Adamesk” art wares in 1904 at his pottery in Scotswood, Newcastle. Using the local fireclay which the firm used for their regular production of sanitary wares, it was decorated with coloured leadless glazes developed by A.B. Searle. The clay is often modelled into organic, almost abstract forms, and the glazes flow freely to give attractive decorative effects. In 1905 Adamesk was successfully shown at an exhibition of British Pottery in Glasgow. The production of decorative vases, bowls and models was continued by Moses’ son Alan H. Adams, who became director in 1921. The firm later changed its name to Adamsez Ltd., and finally closed in 1975.
Polar Bears, 1927. Designed by Alan H. Adams (1892-1988)
Given by Alan H. Adams, 1978
These bears were part of the Adamesk art pottery range, made at the Adams family pottery at Scotswood. The art pots were all individual pieces, made largely by hand. They were made from a mix which included local clay. This piece was designed by Alan H. Adams in 1927, and has the rather geometric shape popular in Art Deco decoration of the period. Adamesk art pottery was produced from 1904 to 1975. It was a branch of the pottery firm of Adamsez, which made toilets and sinks.
‘Elanware’ Mother and Child vase, about 1961. Designed by Alan H. Adams (1892-1988)
Given by Alan H. Adams, 1969
The unusual ‘Elanware’ pottery was developed by Alan Adams. In this vase the modelled faces and flowing shape suggest the figures of a mother and child. A slightly crystalline, dark grey glaze has been applied, giving the vase a beautiful metallic sheen. This type of glaze was developed for the firm by A.B. Searle, and was used on pottery made from local fireclay.