There's always something going on in the North East, whether you're a resident or a visitor to the region. Here are some useful links to help you find out more:
I Like Museums
A guide to North East museums - with more than 80 to choose from, you can find whatever you like. Find out more at www.ilikemuseums.com
NewcastleGateshead Cultural Venues (NGCV)
NewcastleGateshead Cultural Venues (NGCV) is a consortium of 10 non-profit distributing cultural organisations, operating 22 venues across visual arts, performing arts, music, dance, film, writing and literature, heritage, archives and museums and science communication in Tyne and Wear.
We work together to maximise the creative, social and economic potential of the cultural sector in the North East by developing strategic and creative initiatives, sharing practice and resources and by being a strong collective voice. You can find out more about our collaboration here.
The 10 organisations are:
• BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art: The North East’s internationally acclaimed centre for contemporary art, housed in a landmark ex-industrial building on Gateshead Quays. www.balticmill.com
• Centre for Life: A landmark Millennium project, this unique science village houses new research alongside facilities devoted to ethics, public engagement and education.
• Dance City: The National Dance Agency for the North East, raising the profile of dance for young people in partnership with key youth dance partners such as Youth Dance England and Public Health North East. www.dancecity.co.uk
• Live Theatre: One of the leading new writing producers in the country, working with national and international co-producers. Its drama education programme is considered a national exemplar. www.live.org.uk
• Northern Stage: The North East’s major producing theatre, making and presenting a repertoire of new work and contemporary classics in collaboration with partners such as Robert Lepage, the Royal Shakespeare Company and Kneehigh. www.northernstage.co.uk
• The Sage Gateshead: The pioneering international hub for music performance, learning and participation delivering across 10,000 square miles from Foster’s iconic building, as well as leading national programmes. www.thesagegateshead.org
• Seven Stories: a new national home for children’s literature, bringing together original manuscripts and artwork, involving young people, their families and educators in exploring creativity, literature and art. www.sevenstories.org.uk
• Theatre Royal: Newcastle’s landmark receiving and touring theatre and the regional home for, amongst others, the Royal Shakespeare Company, Opera North, The Dance Consortium and Rambert Dance. www.theatreroyal.co.uk
• Tyneside Cinema: The North East’s leading independent cinema, a resource for learning and development of moving image and new media and an important hub for the North East’s creative industries. www.tynesidecinema.co.uk
We've teamed up with our friends at nine leading cultural venues to create The Insider - a new invite list that'll bring you the best exhibitions, shows, events and a special offer or two.
It might be a screening at Tyneside Cinema, a private view at BALTIC, a backstage tour at Live Theatre, Northern Stage or Dance City, a family day at Seven Stories or Discovery Museum, winter ice-skating at Centre for Life or a special event at Sage Gateshead.
It's completely free to join - you can register here.
We won’t bombard you with emails. But we will make sure that you always get The Insider knowledge. Before everyone else finds out.
Visit North East England
The Visit North East England website has everything you need to find out what's going on across the region. Managed by the OneNorthEast Tourism Team, the site provides useful information from everything to attractions, events and activities to entertainment and accommodation. Find out more at www.northeastengland.co.uk.
NewcastleGateshead - a vibrant mix of the contemporary, cultural, stylish and historic. A city famed across the world for its captivating welcome. So much to see and do all covered in this useful website. Find out more at www.visitnewcastlegateshead.com.
As our 12 venues form an important part of the North East's exciting cultural scene, we have joined forces with a variety of attractions and businesses to support The Journal Culture Club and the monthly Journal Culture magazine. Culture Club provides members with money saving offers, special benefits, exclusive competitions and the opportunity to attend exciting events. Find out more at www.thejournalcultureclub.co.uk.
Creative Partnerships is the Government’s flagship creative learning programme, designed to develop the skills of young people across England, raising their aspirations and equipping them for their futures. We foster innovative, long-term partnerships between schools and creative professionals, including architects, scientists, multimedia developers and artists. These partnerships inspire young people, teachers and creative professionals to challenge how they work and experiment with new ideas.
Young people develop the skills they need to perform well not only in exams and extra-curricular activities, but also in the workplace and wider society. Find out more at www.creative-partnerships.com
The Art Fund
The Art Fund is an independent charity that exists to save art for everyone to enjoy. Fine out more at The Art Fund website.
The Family Explorers network includes 24 cultural venues run by 13 organisations in the North East, and brings together brilliant places for families to explore in the North East. www.familyexplorers.co.uk