Cullercoats RNLI was founded in 1852 with the support of the Duke of Northumberland following the loss of seven men from the village who were drowned crossing the harbour bar at Cullercoats. The present boathouse was built in 1896 and has recently been extended to include changing and common rooms. The crew is made up of 20-25 volunteers, supported by shore helpers of all ages. Several local families can trace their involvement back to the first members of the Cullercoats Lifeboat.
The team are called out 30 – 35 times a year and have one of the fastest launch response times in the country. The crew meet regularly to carry out rescue drills and routine maintenance work.