Bob belongs to: The Fishermen's Mission
Bob was born in North Shields. He has worked in the Royal Navy, merchant navy and steam trawlers. Bob is retired and spends his time painting.
Bob was interviewed by Kylea Little on 8 November 2005. The interview took place at North Shields Fishermen's Mission and lasted 52 minutes and 23 seconds.
Landing the catch on North Shields Fish Quay
"The stuff was brought in and sold by buyers"
The stuff was brought in and sold by buyers- they would sell the stuff off to people that would come in and all the catch was laid in boxes and ice covered over on the catches, labels put on the boxes and everything by people who were called buskers on the quay, and they were more like fish porters, and they laid out all these boxes ready for the sales that went on in the early hours of the morning. And as a child, when I was brought down here, I was amazed at the size of some of the fish- there were great big cod, there were great big blue skate which were like a carpet- as big as a house’s carpet some of them, you know and it was a fascinating sight, full of wonder as a kid, you know, watching this.
Bob has 15 memories in the memorynet:
Bob's memories with a Wartime theme:
Bob's other memories:
- Joining the Royal Navy
- Life after the Royal Navy
- Joining the trawlers as a cook
- The merchant navy and St. Elmo's Fire
- Landing the catch on North Shields Fish Quay
- Swimming under the ice store
- The smell of the smoke houses
- Taking a break on the Suez Canal
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge 2
- Bob Cawley at San Domingo
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge 1
- Individual Certificate
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge 3
- Painting of Trawler and North Shields Fish Quay