Bob belongs to: The Fishermen's Mission
Bob was born in North Shields. He has worked in the Royal Navy, merchant navy and steam trawlers. Bob is retired and spends his time painting.
Bob was interviewed by Kylea Little on 8 November 2005. The interview took place at North Shields Fishermen's Mission and lasted 52 minutes and 23 seconds.
Swimming under the ice store
"Well, the old ice store that was here, it was steam driven stuff and everything and hot water coming from the boilers was discharged through a pipe down into the, underneath the quay"
Well, the old ice store that was here, it was steam driven stuff and everything and hot water coming from the boilers was discharged through a pipe down into the, underneath the quay, where all the timbers formed a square and the supports for the upright timbers that supported the quay- it was like a little swimming pool underneath, but deep water, to the river bed. But that water was hotter than the other stuff and warm, and kids used to get under there and just leave their clothes on the beams and dive in and swim around in there because it was lovely and hot. And they didnít have bathrooms, you know, in them days. Your mum, when your mother did the washing, you had to get in the tub after she had finished, you know, as kids getting ready for school and things like that. But that was a little bit of an adventure and it cleaned you up as well.
Bob has 15 memories in the memorynet:
Bob's memories with a Sounds and Smells theme:
Bob's other memories:
- Joining the Royal Navy
- Life after the Royal Navy
- Joining the trawlers as a cook
- The merchant navy and St. Elmo's Fire
- Landing the catch on North Shields Fish Quay
- Swimming under the ice store
- Taking a break on the Suez Canal
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge 2
- Bob Cawley at San Domingo
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge 1
- Individual Certificate
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge 3
- Painting of Trawler and North Shields Fish Quay