Derek belongs to: The Doxford Engine Friends Association
Derek served an apprenticeship at North East Marine before going to sea. He returned to work in the Doxford Drawing Office then transferred to the Technical Office. He worked there until engine building stopped and moved to the Installation Drawing Office in the shipyard until it closed.
Derek was interviewed by Carl Greenwood on 26 January 2005. The interview took place at Sunderland Museum and lasted 24 minutes and 47 seconds.
Visit to the Doxford yard
Members of the Doxford Engine Friends Association standing outside the main gate to the Doxford Engine Works.
Derek has 10 memories in the memorynet:
- Working conditions at sea
- The Doxford drawing office
- Equipment in the drawing office
- The Doxford's technical office and sea trials
- Moving to Doxford installation office
- The closure of Doxford's
- Sound of the Doxford engine
- The sound of a Doxford engine at sea
- Visit to the Doxford yard
- Main gates to the Doxford Engine Works