George belongs to: The Doxford Engine Friends Association
George was born in 1940 in Hendon. He began his apprenticeship in 1956 and finished in 1961. From Doxford's George served in the merchant navy on tramp ships, cargo liners, container ships and oil tankers until he retired in 2005.
George was interviewed by Carl Greenwood on 26 January 2006. The interview took place at Sunderland Museum and lasted 31 minutes and 54 seconds.
Continuous Certificate of Discharge
Continuous Certificate of Discharge issued May 1961. This document contains personal information and a record of each voyage undertaken. The certificate acted as both a passport and a reference. The captain of a ship would record the name of the ship, the dates of the voyage and the ability and conduct of the seaman on that voyage.
George has 12 memories in the memorynet:
- Apprenticeship at Doxford's
- Benefits of a Doxford apprenticeship
- The value of a Doxford's apprenticeship
- Safety and accidents at Doxford's
- The smell of whale oil
- Sailing with a Doxford engine
- Conditions on the ship
- Meeting Michael Wilson in Shanghai
- Engineer's Certificate
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge
This memory has these themes: