Jimmy belongs to: Royal British Legion Seaman's Mess
Jimmy was born in Dulwich in London. Jimmy served in both the Royal Navy and merchant navy. He was on the Ashanti when it ran aground at Whitburn in 1940.
Jimmy was interviewed by Kylea Little on 22 November 2005. The interview took place at South Shields Royal British Legion and lasted 43 minutes and 54 seconds.
Telegram to Jimmy's father notifying him of his son's injuries received in action near Norway in 1940. Although he had been injured, Jimmy remained at his gun post. He was later awarded with the Distinguished Service Medal for bravery.
Jimmy has 13 memories in the memorynet:
- Wartime experiences in the Royal Navy
- Wartime experiences in the Royal Navy part two
- The uniform in the Royal Navy
- Water rations in the Royal Navy
- The canteen at Scapa Flow
- Sea sickness
- Meeting his wife on Ocean Road, South Shields
- Buckingham Palace
- Life in the merchant navy after the Royal Navy
- Distinguished Service Medal
- Gold watch
- UK Armed Forces Veteran Lapel Badge