Jimmy belongs to: Royal British Legion Seaman's Mess
Jimmy was born in Dulwich in London. Jimmy served in both the Royal Navy and merchant navy. He was on the Ashanti when it ran aground at Whitburn in 1940.
Jimmy was interviewed by Kylea Little on 22 November 2005. The interview took place at South Shields Royal British Legion and lasted 43 minutes and 54 seconds.
Life in the merchant navy after the Royal Navy
"It was a piece of cake after the Royal Navy"
It was a piece of cake after the Royal Navy. I found out that when you came off watch you didn’t have to turn to on deck and do… and start work. When you came off watch you turned in and went to bed- you really were off, you know. Four on and four off meant four hours on and fours off. Where in the Royal Navy if you were on the four ‘til eight, you came off at eight, you turned to on deck until, from nine ‘til 12. Then you were back on watch again.
Jimmy has 13 memories in the memorynet:
Jimmy's memories with a Change theme:
- Life in the merchant navy after the Royal Navy
Jimmy's other memories:
- Wartime experiences in the Royal Navy
- Wartime experiences in the Royal Navy part two
- The uniform in the Royal Navy
- Water rations in the Royal Navy
- The canteen at Scapa Flow
- Sea sickness
- Meeting his wife on Ocean Road, South Shields
- Buckingham Palace
- Distinguished Service Medal
- Gold watch
- UK Armed Forces Veteran Lapel Badge