John belongs to: The Doxford Engine Friends Association
John was born in 1936 in Hendon. He started his apprenticeship at Doxford's in 1952 with the intention of going to sea. John has no regrets about the people he has met, and friends he has made.
John was interviewed by Carl Greenwood on 26 January 2006. The interview took place at Sunderland Museum and lasted 21 minutes and 13 seconds.
Working on a lathe
John working on a lathe during his time in the merchant navy.
John has 14 memories in the memorynet:
John's memories with a Work theme:
- Apprenticeship at Doxford's
- The value of a Doxford apprenticeship
- Sounds and atmosphere in the Doxford Works
- Moving on from Doxford's
- Bill King
- First voyage, carrying dynamite through a hurricane
- Being in a hurricane
- What does the sea mean to you?
- Doxford's reference
- Working on a lathe
- Catch of the day
John's other memories:
This memory has these themes: