Michael belongs to: The Doxford Engine Friends Association
Michael was born in West Sussex and went to school in London. He came to the North East to study at South Shields Marine College. He is an engineer in the merchant navy.
Michael was interviewed by Carl Greenwood on 26 January 2006. The interview took place at Sunderland Museum and lasted 25 minutes and 9 seconds.
Following his father to sea
"My father had been at sea "
My father had been at sea and my brother had been at sea and I mean, my father was in the Royal Navy, as was my brother, and it just maybe to go off and see the world, which is… My father asked me the same question many years ago he said, “why do you want to go to sea?”, “well, to see the world,” and he said, “all you’ll see is the first bar on the jetty,” which is probably quite true. But I mean, yes, in my time I have seen certain parts of the world, but only sort of limited parts, not much.
Michael has 16 memories in the memorynet:
Michael's memories with a Lifestyles theme:
Michael's other memories:
- First voyage and New York
- Leisure time and crew sizes
- Living conditions in the merchant navy
- Communication from sea
- Safety at sea
- Meeting George Gardner in Shanghai
- Joining the Doxford Engine Friends Association
- Decline of the British shipping industry
- The Doxford engine at South Shields College
- Students at South Shields College
- Apprenticeship agreement
- Photograph of michael
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge