Michael belongs to: The Doxford Engine Friends Association
Michael was born in West Sussex and went to school in London. He came to the North East to study at South Shields Marine College. He is an engineer in the merchant navy.
Michael was interviewed by Carl Greenwood on 26 January 2006. The interview took place at Sunderland Museum and lasted 25 minutes and 9 seconds.
Communication from sea
"Yeah, I mean, we’ve got, I mean virtually any form of access"
Yeah, I mean, we’ve got, I mean virtually any form of access. We can, I mean, there’s email, mobile phones, as I said I mean I’ve recently just taken a ship from Rotterdam down to the Falkland Islands, I mean we had, I mean access to the outside world via email for nigh on about 95% of the voyage- there was one position off the African coast where there’s a dead sort of zone. But I mean, we then had a satellite phone so we were, we had sort of like a five minute call once a week which was on the company’s account so you could always find out what was happening. But there was email so you could always contact or be contacted.
Michael has 16 memories in the memorynet:
Michael's memories with a Relationships theme:
- Communication from sea
- Meeting George Gardner in Shanghai
Michael's other memories:
- Training and apprenticeship
- Following his father to sea
- First voyage and New York
- Changes in the merchant navy
- Leisure time and crew sizes
- Living conditions in the merchant navy
- Safety at sea
- Joining the Doxford Engine Friends Association
- Decline of the British shipping industry
- The Doxford engine at South Shields College
- Students at South Shields College
- Apprenticeship agreement
- Photograph of michael
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge