Michael belongs to: The Doxford Engine Friends Association
Michael was born in West Sussex and went to school in London. He came to the North East to study at South Shields Marine College. He is an engineer in the merchant navy.
Michael was interviewed by Carl Greenwood on 26 January 2006. The interview took place at Sunderland Museum and lasted 25 minutes and 9 seconds.
The Doxford engine at South Shields College
Images of the Doxford engine being installed at South Shields College. Michael was involved with the installation of the engine when he was student. However, it was only years later when he returned with the Doxford Engine Friends Association that he finally saw it running.
Michael has 16 memories in the memorynet:
Michael's memories with a Work theme:
- Training and apprenticeship
- Following his father to sea
- First voyage and New York
- Changes in the merchant navy
- Leisure time and crew sizes
- Living conditions in the merchant navy
- Communication from sea
- Safety at sea
- Meeting George Gardner in Shanghai
- Decline of the British shipping industry
- Apprenticeship agreement
- Photograph of michael
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge
Michael's other memories:
This memory has these themes: