Michael belongs to: The Doxford Engine Friends Association
Michael was born in West Sussex and went to school in London. He came to the North East to study at South Shields Marine College. He is an engineer in the merchant navy.
Michael was interviewed by Carl Greenwood on 26 January 2006. The interview took place at Sunderland Museum and lasted 25 minutes and 9 seconds.
Continuous Certificate of Discharge
Continuous Certificate of Discharge issued 23 May 1966. This document contains personal information and a record of each voyage undertaken. The certificate acted as both a passport and a reference. The captain of a ship would record the name of the ship, the dates of the voyage and the ability and conduct of the seaman on that voyage.
Michael has 16 memories in the memorynet:
Michael's memories with a Work theme:
- Training and apprenticeship
- Following his father to sea
- First voyage and New York
- Changes in the merchant navy
- Leisure time and crew sizes
- Living conditions in the merchant navy
- Communication from sea
- Safety at sea
- Meeting George Gardner in Shanghai
- Decline of the British shipping industry
- Apprenticeship agreement
- Photograph of michael
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge
Michael's other memories:
This memory has these themes: