Paul belongs to: The Coble and Keelboat Society
Paul was born in Cullercoats. His family were in fishing and merchant navy. Paul got his first boat when he was 13. He has made a living from fishing and sign painting.
Paul was interviewed by Kylea Little on 1 December 2005. The interview took place at the Interviewee's workshop and lasted 38 minutes and 30 seconds.
Growing up in a fishing community
"I used to always be messing around in wee boats and skuller boats"
I used to always be messing around in wee boats and skuller boats and clarting about and that, and in the weekends and holidays, and it was the summertime, or anytime, in the morning before we had to go school.
Interviewer: What did you do, did you…?
Just fishing for lobsters and that, messing around with bits of netting and rods and all sorts.
Paul has 16 memories in the memorynet:
- Growing up in a fishing community
- First boat
- Learning traditional fishing skills
- Fishing routines
- The crew in the cobles and decline of the fishing industry
- Leaving the sea and sign painting
- Sign Painting
- Sign painting techniques and methods
- Making and mending equipment
- Losing traditional skills
- Going out in his coble
- Paul in his workshop
- A hand painted sign
- Paul's coble
- Examples of Paul's sign painting