Ray belongs to: Royal British Legion Seaman's Mess
Ray was born in Moon Street, South Shields. After leaving school Ray went to cookery school before going to sea with the merchant navy in March 1937. He left the sea in 1953.
Ray was interviewed by Carl Greenwood on 30 November 2005. The interview took place at the Interviewee's living room and lasted 39 minutes and 44 seconds.
Photograph of Ray when he was 20. The portrait was taken at his mother's request as a keepsake. On his previous voyage Ray's ship was two weeks late in arriving at its destination and had been reported missing.
Ray has 14 memories in the memorynet:
- Joining the merchant navy
- The ship's cook's routine
- Food in the merchant navy
- Learning to make curry
- Cooking equipment and galley conditions in the merchant navy
- Cookery training
- The Atlantic convoys and Captain Walker
- Ray Lorrison
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge
- Certificate of Competency as Ship's Cook
- Higher Certification of Competency in Nautical Cookery
- Pool card
- Certification of Innoculation Against Cholera