Ray belongs to: Royal British Legion Seaman's Mess
Ray was born in Moon Street, South Shields. After leaving school Ray went to cookery school before going to sea with the merchant navy in March 1937. He left the sea in 1953.
Ray was interviewed by Carl Greenwood on 30 November 2005. The interview took place at the Interviewee's living room and lasted 39 minutes and 44 seconds.
Continuous Certificate of Discharge
Continuous Certificate of Discharge issued on the 14 August 1937. This document contains personal information and a record of each voyage undertaken. The certificate acted as both a passport and a reference. The captain of a ship would record the name of the ship, the dates of the voyage and the ability and conduct of the seaman on that voyage.
Ray has 14 memories in the memorynet:
Ray's memories with a Travel theme:
- Joining the merchant navy
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge
Ray's other memories:
- The ship's cook's routine
- Food in the merchant navy
- Learning to make curry
- Cooking equipment and galley conditions in the merchant navy
- Cookery training
- The Atlantic convoys and Captain Walker
- Ray Lorrison
- Certificate of Competency as Ship's Cook
- Higher Certification of Competency in Nautical Cookery
- Pool card
- Certification of Innoculation Against Cholera