Ray belongs to: Royal British Legion Seaman's Mess
Ray was born in Moon Street, South Shields. After leaving school Ray went to cookery school before going to sea with the merchant navy in March 1937. He left the sea in 1953.
Ray was interviewed by Carl Greenwood on 30 November 2005. The interview took place at the Interviewee's living room and lasted 39 minutes and 44 seconds.
Ray's medals form World War Two. Ray served in the merchant navy through the war. The medals are from left to right; The 1939 - 1945 Star, The Atlantic Star, The Africa Star, The Pacific Star and The War Medal. Ray only applied for these medals when his grandson was doing a school project on the war.
Ray has 14 memories in the memorynet:
Ray's memories with a Travel theme:
Ray's other memories:
- The ship's cook's routine
- Food in the merchant navy
- Learning to make curry
- Cooking equipment and galley conditions in the merchant navy
- Cookery training
- The Atlantic convoys and Captain Walker
- Ray Lorrison
- Certificate of Competency as Ship's Cook
- Higher Certification of Competency in Nautical Cookery
- Pool card
- Certification of Innoculation Against Cholera