Sandy was born in North Shields. At the age of 16 he began his maritime training and went to sea at 18. He is Lifeboat Visits Officer for Cullercoats RNLI and a member of the Coble and Keelboat Society.
Sandy was interviewed by Carl Greenwood on 9 December 2005. The interview took place at Discovery Museum People's Gallery and lasted 46 minutes and 7 seconds.
Sandy's Master's certificate.
Sandy has 19 memories in the memorynet:
Sandy's memories with a Roles and Routines theme:
- Training school for the merchant navy
- Progress through the merchant navy
- A day at sea
- Master's certificate
- Loading cargo in Ghana
Sandy's other memories:
- Adjusting to life at sea
- Taking the family to sea
- Ships in bottles
- Chooky the rooster
- The RNLI and the Coble and Keelboat Society
- The Doxford Song
- Continuous Certificate of Discharge
- Notebooks and diaries of flights and voyages
- The Panama Canal
- Taking the family on ship
- Teaching knotting skills
- Chooky the Rooster
- The Golden Bear