From traditional craft activities to archaeology events and gallery talks...download our Adult Learning brochure
10am - 4pm
Discover two World Heritage Sites using pedal power!
As part of the British Festival of Archaeology, Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums is working in partnership with the national sustainable transport charity Sustrans to deliver this exciting and unique event.
Using National Cycle Network (NCN) routes in both North and South Tyneside, participants will have the chance to explore local heritage at a leisurely pace. Starting at Arbeia Roman Fort in South Shields with a guided tour, the 16 mile route begins by crossing the River Tyne using the pedestrian and cycle ferry. Participants then cycle to Segedunum Roman Fort, Baths and Museum with stops to look at the landscape and discuss local heritage along the way.
Lunch and a guided tour will then take place at Segedunum before the return journey back to Arbeia Roman Fort begins. This time the route takes you back along the south side of the River Tyne with a stop at Bede’s World for coffee and a chance to explore this fascinating and significant heritage site.
• All participants must be aged 9 or over and all under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.
• All participants must wear appropriate clothing for the weather, helmets and gloves are strongly recommended.
• All bikes must be road worthy and participants must provide their own bikes.
• Participants must carry an adequate supply of water and packed lunch and snacks. There is a café at Segedunum which serves hot and cold food.
• This ride is 16 miles in length and does include some climbs, however it will be taken at a leisurely pace. All participants are required to complete a health questionnaire before the ride.
The meeting point for the cycle is: Arbeia Roman Fort, Baring Street, South Shields, NE33 2BB. Arbeia Roman Fort is sign posted on cycle route from centre of South Shields & street parking available.
This is a free event and includes entrance to both World Heritage Sites. Booking is essential - for more information or to make your booking please email email@example.com