This exhibition explores the history of the Wellesley Nautical School which was based on the River Tyne from 1868 to 1914.
Famously the training ship used, HMS Boscawen, was damaged after a fire on 11 March, 1914. Subsequently the ship was broken up and the Wellesley boys were sent to a new home in Blyth.
The exhibition draws from the printed history of the school and the 1977 interviews of Captain E J Hatfield a Wellesley boy from 1912 - 1914.
Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums have recently acquired a number of items which relate to Wellesley, including an important painting of the founder, James Hall.