Supporting Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums
The Impact of Covid19
Door to door we are 22 miles of innovation, art, history and science packed into 4 museums, 3 art galleries, 2 Roman Forts and 1 Archive.
Our closure due to Covid-19 means we now need to raise £220,000 to be able to run our venues.
With your support we will
- Inspire over 1.2 million visitors every year
- Care for and protect your heritage
- Reflect, respect and share the stories our collections hold and the people they represent
- Support everyone to access and use our collections and resources, wherever they are
By donating £2, £12 or £22 a month you can help us keep art, culture and heritage at the heart of the North East.
We support people
- 1.2 million visits across our venues
- Over 135,000 children engage in our activities
- 8,000 people take part in our community programmes
- 32,000 people enjoy The Late Shows which we co-ordinate across 50+ venues each year
We are memory makers: we create experiences that provoke important conversations. We build curiosity in the minds of the future. We improve the lives of 1.2 million visitors each year, by helping people to understand the world around them. We strive to remove barriers to arts culture and heritage by offering a sanctuary, a safe place to recharge, to reflect and to relax.
We share stories
- 20,000 children use our Boxes of Delight classroom resources
- 400 volunteers help to bring the stories from our collections to life contributing a total 22,000 hours of their time
We collect and care for the stories that shape us as individuals and communities and give those without a voice a way to articulate and connect with their own story. From local experiences to stories from across the world - we are the story keepers of the North East.
We care for collections
- We protect and preserve 1.1million items in our collections
- We look after over 20km of Archive material
- We've preserved 500 sound recordings
We care for our region's heritage. We hold the memories of those who came before us and collect the stories for those who will come after. We celebrate North Eastern creativity and innovation and harness it to ignite the imagination of future generations.
We contribute to places
- 84% of our visitors are from the North East
- We manage venues in 4 of the region's districts and work with cultural venues across the whole of the region through our programmes
Shaped by our natural, industrial and social landscape our collections are firmly rooted in our locality, yet nationally and internationally important. They reflect how the pioneering inventions of the North East have changed the world and how people from our region have impacted on all aspects of life from science and industry to art and design. Through international partnerships we bring amazing artefacts from across the world to the people of Tyneside, helping all of us find our place in a shared history.
Support us today
We believe art, culture and heritage sit firmly at the heart of our region.
If we do not secure £220,000 our future is at risk and with it the heart and soul of our region.