Volunteering opportunities will be listed on the Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums' volunteering page (https://twmuseums.volunteermakers.org/)
You could also take part by donating an object or story to the Women’s Collection here at TWAM.
As part of our project we are creating a Women’s Collection for TWAM, with items already within the museum collections, as well as new donations. We are hoping this collection may address some gaps that exist in our object collections.
If you think that you have an item that may be of interest to us, please get in touch. We would love items that correspond with our main areas of interest:
- Opportunities and Aspirations
- Body Image and Identity
- Power and Influence
- Women’s Relationships
- Health and Wellbeing
However, if you have something that relates to women’s history on Tyneside and are unsure if it fits with one of our themes, please do still get in touch.
Read our prompts below for ideas about what we are looking for.
Please contact us first before bringing objects into the museum and read our FAQs before contacting us.
- Have you ever been involved in any campaigns or women’s activist groups?
- Have you attended protests or demonstrations? Do you have any items or stories about them?
- How do you feel about the way you look? Do tattoos, jewellery or make up make you feel good?
- Would you like to donate something you have worn that reminds you of a specific event or an important time in your life?
- Do you have items that are an important part of your cultural identity?
Opportunities and Aspirations:
- Do you have any items that tell us a story from a job you have done?
- What are your experiences of being a working woman or a non-working woman? Do you have anything you wish to donate to tell your story?
- Have you ever been discriminated against?
- What is your greatest achievement? Is there an object which represents that success?
- Who are your ‘girl gang’? Tell us about them.
- Who is the most important female in your life? Do you have objects that represent them?
Power and Influence:
- Do you have any stories or objects relating to a powerful or inspirational woman?
- Do you vote? Do you remember voting for the first time? Do you feel represented?
- Who is the biggest influence on you? Are there any politicians or local community leaders who you admire?
- Do you have any objects you think we should acquire to represent female health issues?
- What are the objects in your life that are essential to your health and wellbeing?
- Have you experienced stigma regarding female reproductive health or mental health?
Will my item be accepted by the museum?
Unfortunately we cannot accept all items offered for donation. Please don’t be offended if we cannot accept your donation as there are a number of reasons why this may be:
1. We have an acquisitions policy and new items we take have to meet this criteria.
2. We may have an item similar already and we avoid duplication.
3. Your item might be too big for us to store suitably.
4. Your item may need expensive specialist conservation work in order for us to use it.
5. Your item must have a Tyneside association.
6. Your item may be more relevant to another museum (if this is the case we will try our best to recommend one to you)
7. You must have legal ownership of the item.
What kind of items are you looking for?
We are looking for items that are related to an interesting story about women on Tyneside (this includes Newcastle, Gateshead, North Tyneside and South Tyneside).
What will happen to my item?
If you are happy to donate your object, we will assume ownership of it permanently. This means that it will become part of the TWAM collections. We will store and preserve the items for the future with all of the information you provide us.