Visiting our venues
We have a packed programme of events and exhibitions to enjoy over the summer and we're looking forward to seeing you soon.
Whilst we are very happy that we can bring you a more normal visitor experience again, our main concern is to keep you and our staff safe. So, there are some safety measures that we will be continuing to recommend for a while longer.
We will continue to monitor visitor numbers to ensure our venues don’t get too crowded. Some venues are still offering or require pre-booking but for most venues a ticket is no longer needed.
We recommend wearing a face covering inside our venues.
Our staff and volunteers are on hand to help and answer any questions.
Details about what to expect at each of our venues can be found at the links below:
- Arbeia, South Shields Roman Fort
- Discovery Museum
- Great North Museum: Hancock
- Hatton Gallery
- Laing Art Gallery
- Segedunum Roman Fort
- Shipley Art Gallery
- South Shields Museum & Art Gallery
- Stephenson Steam Railway (Every Sunday, Bank holiday Mondays and Thursdays during school holidays only)
- Tyne & Wear Archives
When you arrive
- If you have any of the symptoms of coronavirus, or if you have been in contact with anyone that has the virus in the last 10 days, please don’t visit.
- We recommend wearing a face covering inside our venues.
- We will continue to display NHS QR code posters to make it easy for you to check-in to support Test and Trace. You will need to download the NHS app onto your mobile phone before you can scan the QR code. The app is available on Andriod's Google Play or Apple's App Store - search for NHS Covid-19.
During your visit
- Our staff will greet you at a distance. They will be wearing face coverings and we have screens at our till points.
- Unfortunately, some small spaces in our venues are still closed until it is safe to open them. Before you visit please see the venue website for information about which spaces are open.
- Our cafes are open at Discovery Museum, the Great North Museum, Laing Art Gallery, Segedunum Roman Fort and South Shields Museum serving hot and cold refreshments.
- You are welcome to bring your own food and drink to our outdoor sites and make use of our picnic areas. Unfortunately, you can’t bring food and drink into our indoor venues.
- We encourage you to use the hand sanitisers around the venue.
- We have increased cleaning in all public areas of the building and especially in areas of high contact.
This remains a very difficult time for us. Help us ensure art, culture & heritage continue to make a positive impact in our region.